Symptoms And Risk Factors Of GingivitisSince gingivitis does not cause a lot of pain, most people do not know they have it. This makes it crucial for one to check for symptoms and go to the dentist for regular check-ups. Your dentist can likely spot the early warning signs of gingivitis before you are even aware that there is a problem. Some factors which put someone at more significant risk of getting gingivitis include:
- Bleeding gums
- Swollen gums
- Bad breath
- Tooth sensitivity.
- Poor oral hygiene – This entails not brushing or flossing regularly
- Smoking – Research shows that smokers are more likely to acquire gum disease than non-smokers. This is among the significant causes of gum disease and it lessens the chances for successful treatment
- Hormonal changes – There are physiological activities that increase sensitivity and inflammation. They include menstruation, puberty, or menopause. You should take extra care when in these situations
- Medical conditions – These include certain fungal and viral diseases
Prevention And Treatment Of GingivitisThe best way to prevent gingivitis is to remove as much plaque as you can from your teeth every day. It is best to practice good dental hygiene like brushing for two minutes and flossing at least once a day. Furthermore, check for signs and symptoms of gingivitis and report to a dentist immediately if your gums are inflamed. Using mouth wash and avoiding sugary substances is also helpful. Some of the treatment options for gum disease involve cleaning the pockets around your teeth and potentially taking oral antibiotics. Oral surgery is sometimes needed to replace lost gum tissue.
Columbia Smiles Offers Treatment For GingivitisColumbia Smiles has years of expertise in treating gum disease. We have an outstanding practice that focuses on preventive care that also enables you to prevent gingivitis. Even if you have not noticed any of the early warning signs of gum disease, during regular cleanings, your dentist will check for swollen gums and plaque buildup. Columbia Smiles also provides restorative and cosmetic dentistry, making them an ideal place for all your dental care needs. In our welcoming practice, you’ll find comprehensive care to ensure every member of your family has a beautiful smile. Some of the services available at Columbia Smiles include:
- Natural-looking porcelain veneers
- Dental bonding
- Dental implants
- Dental bridges
- General dentistry procedures